The Microbiology Department of B. P. Baria Science Institute, Navsari was established in the year 1950. Today, the department is spread over a built up area of 2967 sq. feet (275.63 m2), which includes a spacious and well-equipped laboratory with its own emergency power supply. Those students with Biology as one of their subject in F. Y. B. Sc are eligible to get admission in Microbiology. Admissions are given to the students on the basis of their merit at the F. Y. B. Sc. examination. Normally 80 students are admitted each year and the cut off marks for admission, on an average, is above 60%. The department has competent and devoted teaching faculty and supportive non – teaching staff. Today, the department has 4 permanent and 1 ad-hoc teaching faculty, supported by 3 non-teaching staff. The department at present has a deficiency of 2 lecturers and 2 peons. These deficiencies are temporarily filled with ad hoc appointments. In the beginning of the course, the intake capacity at Jr. B. Sc. level was about 40 students. It was a 2 year Honors course in Microbiology.
The college has a unique distinction to have such a type of course in Navsari way back in 1950, because during those years, in the entire western India, except at Mumbai, ours was the only college offering the B. Sc. degree in the subject of Microbiology. Our Microbiology department in 1950 drew the attention of students from other states also and during the year 1959, the college received a substantial amount of building grant from the Ministry of Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs, Government of India and the old Bombay state, of which Gujarat was a part in those days.
The inauguration of the present building took place in February, 1960. Before 1960, the department was nurtured by Prof. Raghu Rao and Dr. V. N. Aiyer. After 1960, the college appointed Dr. M. K. Patel as the Head of the Department. Dr. Patel was a retired Professor of Agriculture and was a world reputed scientist in the field of Plant Pathology. He served the department up to Feb.’ 67. Our Microbiology department used to offer M. Sc. by research to a few good students before 1959 and after that period, M. Sc. by paper course was started. The P. G. course provided good opportunity to the brilliant students to study further. Later on because of centralization of P.G. programmes by the University, the P. G. programme was discontinued.